Taking a long holiday requires some planning and forethought as you will be away from the comforts of your home for a while, and any mistakes made in the planning and execution of the trip are likely to be magnified. Proper planning will allow you to obtain the maximum benefit from your trip. To help with your planning, I have identified 3 articles that offer sage advice on travel planning.
The first article is from Tripwolf – Common travel planning mistakes, where some common planning mistakes are highlighted.
The 2nd report comes from US News – Travel where the writer offers 6 Simple Tips for planning your first international trip. .
The 3rd article can be found on Traveller – 11 Mistakes every first time traveller makes. Here the writer advises on how to avoid making these mistakes.
From my experience in planning holidays for my clients, I would suggest keeping in mind these 5 tips when planning a long trip.
- Trying to do too many things in one trip – leave yourself some flexibility to be able to do things on the spur of the moment. Also give yourself some time to discover the authenticity of the destination by spending time with locals and not rushing around.
- Research the best season to visit your chosen destination – also don’t forget to check out any holidays, festivals or special events that may impact your stay.
- Ensure you have the right vaccinations well in advance – some vaccinations have a long incubation period so taking them early ensures you don’t have to delay your trip.
- Packing too much– you will probably end up wearing only half of what you take so pack conservatively. Also don’t purchase clothes and accessories specially for the trip as this would be an unecessary expense. Leave space in your suitcase for souvenirs.
- Venture beyond the guidebook – guidebooks are meant to be used a guide and not a bible on the attractions of the destination. Strike out on your own to discover the hidden gems on your trip.
Follow these 5 simple tips for a great stress free holiday.
Shaheen Therani is an experienced East African Tour Operator who runs a successful tour company, Wild Destinations. She is currently taking the Social Media Specialization Course from Coursera and North Western University. You can follow her on @WildDestination, https://www.facebook.com/wilddestinationsafrica/ and https://ke.linkedin.com/in/shaheen-therani-32a6b520 .